Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Today was an EXTREMELY difficult day…

But I persevered and got through it!

I had my pre-op appt at University of Washington today in Seattle as well as an MRI. I also got my labs drawn.
The drive up to Seattle from Portland went quick – no traffic and a nice day out. We were able to find a parking spot quickly and have time to eat lunch at the hospital cafe before my 12:30PM pre-op.
The pre-op appt lasted for an hour, and we discussed mainly just surgery prep and details about the aftercare. I also found out which area of the brain they want to target for my leads for the DBS surgery.

After the pre-op, I was able to go right to the lab and get my labs drawn before my 1:45pm MRI appt – got it done just in time for my MRI appt.
My anxiety started getting REALLY severe before the MRI while I was waiting to be taken back to the MRI machine – and I had a FULL-FLEDGED panic attack. It was god awful! Having to sit in a gown in a curtain-separated room for 45mins trying with all my might not to start bawling my eyes out and start freaking out... But I somehow managed – and my Xanax kicked in a little bit and I was able to finally calm down once I was in the MRI machine and got my scans. The MRI took an hour and it was a fine experience. It wasn't uncomfortable for me. Except for having to wear the stupid damn masks that every hospital makes you wear. (Even though surgical masks are NOT effective for preventing the spread of the 'Rona).

After the MRI, me and my Mom left UW and went straight to our favorite Greek restaurant just north of Seattle where we’re staying the night with her childhood friend at her house. I’m so lucky we have them to stay with during my appts, during the surgery, and for the follow-up appts. It's 100x better than staying at a hotel or AirBnB.
Overall today was a success! I’m so surprised I was able to power-thru that panic attack, though. Boy was it a bad one!
All my MRI results came back and everything in my brain is normal. Nothing of concern to be seen.

The surgery is planned 15 days from today – so we’ll be driving back up here on the 25th to spend the night, then my Mom will drop me off at the surgery pavilion for my surgery bright and early in the AM on Thursday the 26th.

We're still waiting to hear back from insurance re/ if they’re going to cover the costs of the DBS surgery... Likely they wanted these MRI scans before making a decision. Fingers crossed they DO cover it!
Please pray for me, my friends! Both that insurance will cover the cost of the procedure – and that I will have the strength to go through it and recover and make the MANY return trips up to Seattle (every 2 weeks) for the follow-up visits and programming of the pulse generator in my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment